Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: Tracking Shadows by Regan Black



About Tracking Shadows

In 2096, the American government has gone above and beyond to 'protect its citizens', even regulating sugar and coffee. Every new legislative measure opens up a black market for an enterprising person willing to seize the opportunity.

In Chicago, Slick Micky is the king of smuggling. Known to deliver anything, anytime, anywhere, he specializes in caffeine and sugar and works in the anonymity of shadows. But recently an old enemy is tired of waiting for Micky's empire to crumble and has called in the best assassin in the business to take him out.

Trina Durham is an assassin with a sterling reputation, thanks to her unique ability to induce deadly hallucinations. When Slick Micky killed her best friend, she left Chicago - forever. She's back now, unable to resist the perfect opportunity for vengeance. But no one warned her Slick Micky might as well be a shadow. Or that shedding light on the man and his secrets would put both her heart and reputation at risk.


Source: Goodreads

Review

Regan Black is a new author for me and Tracking Shadows really caught my interest when I first heard about it. I was so lucky to get my hands on an E-copy and I think it was a very good book.
I really liked Trina and Slick Micky they were both characters who was easy to identify with. They both had big personalities so as a reader you could connect with them on some emotional level. They had to make some hard decisions.
Trina was broken in a way and it was amazing how she little by little picked pieces up of herself and put them back together in a new way when she went along with her quest. It kind of made her a whole new person.

I liked how the story took place in 2096, the almost no sugar, no nicotine and no caffeine policy was a great twist and it really made me think about how our world will actually look like when that year comes along. It's an interesting way to tell people that you can try your best to get rid of something even by making a law, but it will properly still be there "underground".
I liked how the location reminded me a little of a film noir, the descriptions was very well written.

The story had a few slow moments where I felt that there was to much talk and not enough action, but it was a mysterious and thrilling novel, it gave hope in a world where there was very little and to find romance in such a world...that gave Tracking Shadows something special.

I look forward to read more books from Regan Black.

I give Tracking Shadows 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...