Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Book one in the Hex Hall series






About Hex Hall

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.


By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.


Source: Goodreads

Review

I have always enjoyed reading about witches since I was little. There has always been something really intriguing about them and I was jealous of how they could cast a spell and make things easier.

I remember the first time I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Willow almost instantly became my favourite character because of who she was. A little shy but a very good friend and she always had the best intentions even though she made mistakes sometimes.
Sophie the main character in Hex Hall reminds me a little of Willow and she has some of the same qualities as well as a great wit, maybe a little immature at times but she’s a very likeable protagonist.
 
This book has a lot of elements that was familiar to me and it had witches, werewolves, vampires and fairies which I have seen in many of the other books I have read.
The setting “The school” was also something that’s seen before and at times I found the book predicting.
One of the good things is that there are enough original things to make the story interesting and that makes the difference so it becomes memorable from other books in the same genre and setting it aside from many other books with the same theme.
 
I read this book in one setting. It's an easy book to get through and I was never bored.
There were a lot of twists and turns along the way, some I guessed and some I didn’t.
I think Rachel Hawkins did a fantastic job at keeping me entertained and there were some really fun moments in between.
 
I give Hex Hall 4 out of 5


Next books in this series:
2# Demonglass
3# Untitled (2012)

5 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I loved this book b/c it had more humor than most paranormals. Sophie was great. I also loved Jenna, the pink-obsessed vampire.

Mysteriousrose said...

You are so right and I forgot to mention Jenna, who wouldn't love a pink-obsessed vampire;-)

Anonymous said...

Nice, professional-looking blog here and well-done review! I am now a follower and will check back again.

Mysteriousrose said...

Thank you very much! It means a great deal to me to hear you say that.
I look forward to seeing you around.

Anonymous said...

This series is definitely on my to-read list. I can't wait. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It looks like we have the same tastes. I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...