Friday, May 20, 2011

Interview with Tessa Gratton author of Blood Magic

I'm so happy to welcome Tessa Gratton to the blog today. She's stopping by for an interview about herself and her debut novel, Blood Magic.
Blood Magic is a stand-alone novel and it's coming May 24th, 2011 from Random House Children’s Books.
Feel free to post any comments and/or questions you have for Tessa Gratton in the comments.


When I was a kid, I wanted to be a wizard. Or a paleontologist. Maybe both.
I’m neither now, but magic and monsters are still my favorite things.

Born in Okinawa, Japan while my Dad was on duty with the US Navy, I moved around throughout my childhood and traveled even more. Reading and theater were the two things that got me through it all.

Despite having traveled all over the world, I settled in Kansas (where the flying monkeys live) with my partner, two cats, and a mutant mutt named Grendel.



Where is your favourite spot to read?
On the deck in my backyard, under the cottonwood and birch trees, when the wind is blowing and the sun is warm.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
Doing exactly what I’m doing now, but hopefully in a house with land.

If you could do magic what would it be?
I’d want to be able to control the wind.

What inspired you to write Blood Magic?
I wanted to write a book about siblings and put magic in it that is as close to what I think real magic would be, if it existed.

For people who are interested in reading your book, will you describe what
Blood Magic is about?
It’s about finding out your own power, about grief and family, about how history defines us but also how we can defy our own histories. And cemeteries and kissing.

Mention three words about Silla Kennicot and three about Nick Pardee.
Silla: determined, melodramatic, loyal
Nick: obnoxious, slick, compassionate

If you had to choose one thing you like the most from the cover of Blood Magic, what would it be?
The title font! I adore it!

What do you look the most forward to when your book is released?
Seeing it on shelves where I’ve always bought books.

What are you working on now?
A book I can’t tell you anything about. LOL. Sorry.

Which books are sitting at the top of your TBR pile?
DULL BOY by Sarah Cross, THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney, SUPERNATURALLY by Kiersten White, SHIP BREAKER by Paolo Bacigalupi, THE IRON THORN by Caitlin Kitteredge, LAST SACRIFICE by Richell Mead.


Thank you so much Tessa for stopping by I'm really looking forward to reading Blood Magic.



For Nick Pardee and Silla Kennicot, the cemetery is the center of everything.

Nick is a city boy angry at being forced to move back to the nowhere town of Yaleylah, Missouri where he grew up. He can’t help remembering his mom and the blood magic she practiced – memories he’s tried for five years to escape. Silla, though, doesn’t want to forget; her parents’ apparent murder-suicide left her numb and needing answers. When a book of magic spells in her dad’s handwriting appears on her doorstep, she sees her chance to unravel the mystery of their deaths.

Together they plunge into the world of dark magic, but when a hundred-year-old blood witch comes hunting for the bones of Silla’s parents and the spell book, Nick and Silla will have to let go of everything they believe about who they are, the nature of life and death, and the deadly secrets that hide in blood.

Find Tessa Gratton here:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
The Elevensies


Now it's time for you dear readers to post any comments and questions you have for Tessa:-) Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

jenny milchman said...

I love sibling books! And I'm with you, Tessa, on the not saying anything during first draft time :)

I'm very glad to have found this blog--I write literary suspense myself :)

Sarah said...

Great interview! I literally 2 minutes ago added this book to my TBR list! lol

Tessa, I think that you need to move up Last Sacrifice. SUCH a fantastic book (well depending on which team (Adrian or Dimitri) you're on hehe).

~ Sarah ♥ I'm Loving Books

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

What an awesome interview ;)

I love magic and monsters too.

I'm following.
ecwrites.com

Anonymous said...

@Sarah: I am fairly sure I'm on the WRONG team, and that's why I've been avoiding the book. Hehehe.

Thanks for having me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...